More than 40 children from Hyde Heath, Amersham, Chesham and the Missendens are celebrating a host of new facilities at their Pre-School, thanks to grants from local and national organisations.
Hyde Heath Pre-School  has been equipped with a colourful outdoor classroom, sheltered from both rain and sun, whilst indoors it has new computers and an oven.
The facilities have been made possible by a £7,000 grant from the Paradigm Housing Group  for the outdoor facility and a further £3,000 from the Big Lottery Fund  for the indoor resources.
“There is good evidence that learning outside the classroom significantly benefits children’s development [4,5],” says one of the Pre-School’s supervisors, Rachel Mistri.
“Thanks to this wonderful new facility, our children can enjoy fresh air, exercise and new experiences about the world around them, even when the weather is unfavourable.”
Another of the Pre-School’s supervisors, Kirsty Harris, explains: “Learning through play with computers  and cooking  helps children start to develop the wide range of skills that they will need throughout life, in an interesting and engaging way.”
Lyn Ives, a Paradigm tenant and Board member who attended the official launch of the new facilities on 29 June says: “It’s wonderful to see children develop the skills they need to have rewarding lives. These facilities are a real investment in the future.”
“Parents who are booking places for their children in 2011-12 are delighted that Hyde Heath Pre-School is equipped with the very best in early years resources,” explains Trevor Lawson, who chairs the Pre-School. “Our charity is well-placed to support the development of many more local children in a safe and happy environment.”
- Hyde Heath Pre-School is a vibrant, happy setting for up to 22 children aged two to five, serving the local village and surrounding communities of Amersham, Chesham and the Missendens. Children from more than 40 families currently attend sessions thoughout the week. Pre-School is an independent charity steered by a team of enthusiastic Trustees. For more information see: http://www.hydeheathpreschool.org.uk/
- Paradigm Housing Group was established in April 1999 and provides a wide range of housing and support services throughout the South, East Midlands and West London. For more information see: http://www.paradigmhousing.co.uk/
- The Big Lottery Fund The Big Lottery Fund (BIG) is responsible for delivering 46 per cent of all funds raised for good causes (about 13 pence of every pound spent on a Lottery Ticket) by The National Lottery. For more information see: http://www.biglotteryfund.org.uk/
- “The world beyond the classroom is an essential part of learning and personal development, whatever [children’s] age, ability or circumstances.” Learning Outside the Classroom Manifesto, Dept for Education and Schools, 2006.
- “When planned and implemented well, learning outside the classroom contributed significantly to raising standards and improving pupils’ personal, social and emotional development.”; Learning Outside the Classroom, Ofsted, October 2008.
- “2.14 … [Children should] find out about and identify the uses of everyday technology and use information and communication technology and programmable toys to support their learning.” Statutory Framework for the Early Years Foundation Stage, Dept for Children, Schools and Families, May 2008.
- “2.15 [Children] must be supported in developing an understanding of … making healthy choices in relation to food.” Statutory Framework for the Early Years Foundation Stage, Dept for Children, Schools and Families, May 2008.